Dussehra, also known as Vijaya Dashami, Dasara, or Dashain, is a significant Hindu festival rejoicing in the victory of good over evil. Observed on the 10th day of the bright half (Shukla Paksha) of the month of Ashvin (Ashwayuja) in accordance with the Hindu calendar, it is an esteemed gazetted holiday in India.
Is Dussehra a Public Holiday?
Indeed, Dussehra is a public holiday in India, granting the general population a well-deserved day off. On this day, schools and most businesses remain closed.
What Do People Do?
People of the Hindu faith celebrate Dussehra with fervent devotion, offering special prayers and making food offerings to the gods in temples or their homes across India. Outdoor fairs, known as “melas,” are organized, accompanied by grand parades featuring effigies of Ravana, the mythical king of ancient Sri Lanka. These effigies are later set ablaze in the evening, symbolizing the victory of good over evil. Dussehra marks the culmination of the Navaratri festival, which is observed with great enthusiasm.
The festivities vary from region to region in India, with some local celebrations lasting up to 10 days. Noteworthy local events include:
– In Northern India, performances of the Ramlila, a condensed version of the epic Ramayana.
– The town of Mysore in the state of Karnataka hosts a grand festival and procession with the goddess Chamundeshwari seated on a throne mounted on elephants.
– In Karnataka, people receive blessings for household and work-related tools like books, computers, cooking pans, and vehicles.
– In Bengal, special foods like luchi (deep-fried flat bread) and alur dom (deep-fried spiced potato snacks) are prepared and relished during the festivities.
Many Hindus consider Dussehra an auspicious time to commence new ventures, projects, or journeys. Additionally, exchanging gifts of leaves from the Shami tree (Prosopis spicigera) holds significance as it symbolizes the story of the Pandavas brothers’ exile in the Mahabharata tales.
On Dussehra, government offices, post offices, and banks in India remain closed. While some stores and businesses may have reduced opening hours or remain closed, it’s advisable for those planning to use public transport on this day to check with local transport authorities for any timetable adjustments.
Dussehra commemorates the triumph of the Hindu god Rama over the demon king Ravana, symbolizing the ultimate victory of good over evil. The epic Ramayana narrates the tale of Lord Rama, who wins the heart of Sita as his wife, only to have her abducted by Ravana, the demon king of Lanka.
Ravana plays a pivotal role in the Ramayana. His sister, Shoorpanakha, fell in love with Rama and Lakshamana and sought to marry one of them. However, both Rama and Lakshamana couldn’t marry her as Rama was already wedded to Sita. Angered by the rejection, Shoorpanakha threatened to kill Sita, leading to Lakshamana mutilating her nose and ears. Seeking revenge for his sister’s injuries, Ravana abducted Sita, sparking a fierce battle between Rama, Lakshamana, and the demon king. Assisted by the monkey god Hanuman and a formidable army of monkeys, Rama and Lakshamana emerged victorious and rescued Sita.
The Mahabharata, another revered Hindu epic, also holds significance during Dussehra. The Pandavas, five valiant brothers, wielded distinct weapons to combat evil forces. They underwent a year of exile during which they concealed their weapons in a Shami tree. Upon their return, they retrieved their weapons from the same tree and, as a mark of reverence, worshipped it before heading into battle, which they ultimately won. This epic is also honored during Dussehra.
Throughout the Dussehra/Vijaya Dashami celebrations, various symbols are prevalent, including:
– Bonfires and fireworks
– Paper and wood effigies of Ravana
– Red spots (tika) painted on people’s foreheads
– The ritualistic burning of Ravana’s effigies on bonfires
Happy dussehra wishes
- May this Dussehra bring joy, prosperity, and success to your life!
- Wishing you a Dussehra filled with love, laughter, and happiness!
- May the victory of good over evil inspire you to achieve greatness in life.
- Let the spirit of Dussehra fill your heart with positivity and courage.
- May the blessings of Lord Rama be with you on this auspicious day.
- Sending you my warmest wishes for a joyous and blessed Dussehra!
- May all your dreams and aspirations come true on Dussehra and always.
- Wishing you and your family a wonderful Dussehra celebration!
- May the light of Dussehra remove all darkness from your life.
- On this Dussehra, may you be blessed with good health and prosperity.
- Wishing you a year filled with new opportunities and success.
- May the victory of good over evil inspire you to be a better person.
- May this Dussehra bring peace and harmony to the world.
- May the festival of Dussehra bring you closer to your loved ones.
- Wishing you a Dussehra filled with positivity and optimism.
- May the colors of Dussehra brighten your life and fill it with joy.
- May the blessings of Goddess Durga be with you always.
- May you have a sparkling Dussehra filled with love and laughter.
- Wishing you and your family a year of prosperity and success.
- May this Dussehra mark the beginning of a new chapter in your life.
- May Lord Rama shower his blessings upon you and your family.
- Wishing you a victorious and happy Dussehra celebration!
- May the goodness in your heart always defeat the darkness around you.
- On this Dussehra, may you be blessed with strength and determination.
- May you achieve all your goals and aspirations in life.
- Wishing you a Dussehra filled with positive energy and enthusiasm.
- May this Dussehra bring you closer to your dreams and desires.
- May you find success in every endeavor you pursue.
- Wishing you a year of happiness, health, and prosperity.
- May the spirit of Dussehra fill your life with joy and contentment.
- On this auspicious day, may you be surrounded by love and blessings.
- May the divine blessings of Goddess Durga be with you always.
- Wishing you a Dussehra that brings you closer to your loved ones.
- May the victory of good over evil inspire you to be kind and compassionate.
- May this Dussehra bring new opportunities and success into your life.
- Wishing you a year of positivity, prosperity, and growth.
- May the festival of Dussehra fill your life with joy and celebrations.
- May the light of Dussehra guide you through all the dark times.
- On this Dussehra, may you be blessed with peace and happiness.
- May the triumph of Lord Rama inspire you to never lose hope.
- Wishing you a Dussehra filled with love, laughter, and blessings.
- May you find success in every step of your life.
- May this Dussehra bring you good fortune and prosperity.
- Wishing you and your family a blissful and cheerful Dussehra!
- May the joyous spirit of Dussehra brighten your life.
- On this auspicious occasion, may you be blessed with happiness and harmony.
- May the blessings of Goddess Durga be with you in all your endeavors.
- Wishing you a Dussehra that is as wonderful as you are!
- May the victory of good over evil inspire you to be a better person.
- May this Dussehra fill your life with love and positivity.
- May you have a year filled with success and accomplishments.
- Wishing you and your family a joyous and prosperous Dussehra!